Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Options Define the Season

For many triathletes, this time of year presents a mixed bag of options.  There is an inevitable combination of returning to a more “normal” pattern of life, some exercise and time spent planning for 2009. 

 

I really want to focus on the options surrounding 2009 planning, but as I write this, I question why so many think the off-season is the time to resort back to a normal way of life.  I feel more lost now, in the off season, than ever.  My current pattern, that includes not sleeping well, is not normal.  Not watching my diet is not normal.  Not training regularly on a schedule is not normal.  Not holding myself accountable for the demands of training is not normal.  My life right now is not normal. 

 

What is off-season anyways?  When does it start?  What exactly does it constitute?  I think there needs to be a re-definition of the term…or perhaps a new term created altogether.  I don’t really ever feel “off” as I always feel like a triathlete.  I prefer it.  So, for now, I’m going with a new term to define my status as a triathlete:  I am in “seasonal transition”….

 

Seasonal – describes the time period between seasons, a period that I am clearly in

Transition – describes the action of passing from one place to another, an action that I am clearly, ever so impatiently doing

 

Let it be known that a) my normal life is the one I lead as a triathlete and b) until further notice from my coach, I am in the seasonal transition phase.

 

…oh yeah…the discussion on 2009 planning…I’ll save that for later.  

 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!